With Amitab Bachchan

With Amitab Bachchan
I've often noticed that we are not able to look at what we have beside us, unless it's inside a frame.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

When Lata Mangeshkar came to Doordarshan...


On 28 September 2013 the Melody Queen Lata Mangeshar will complete 84 years. We are lucky to have been born during the life and times of Lataji
Her golden voice has been a paneca to our souls. . Through this Post I wish her a long, happy and peaceful life. May she continue to inspire us.

Bharat Ratna Lata Mangeshkar or Lata Didi as we address her,
visited DDK Mumbai on 23rd April 2004 , as the chief guest for the Sahydri Navratna Awards. Since Broadcasting schedules are time bound , I had to take her date well in advance. I was told she had a weakness or liking for Orchids. I bought some of the prettiest orchids I could lay my hands on. It was a sight to see Lata Didí's expression . Like a child the smile ran on her face. "How do you know that I like orchids" said Didi, while holding them. "I did my home work Didi before coming to you ", was my immediate response.

Needless to mention she accepted the invite but with a rider. She will be with us, only for half an hour . I agreed, but destiny had something else in store . I remember she had a severe headache when she arrived at Doordarshan. I told her she can leave in 10 minutes, after she had inaugurated the show. But to my surprise she did not leave.

Her reason to sit through the entire function, in her own words was, "It is a very well conceived show and a far cry from what the pvt TV channels are producing . I do not want to miss it . Sharma if you can organise some tea and medicine , I would like to watch the entire show". Andhaa kya chahe do aankhe...... And rest is history. Lata Didi sat for full three hours with us. As usual after the show she complimented us and the following remarks in Marathi language were etched in the memoir book of DDK Mumbai
.
"Doordarshan madhey kelesya sudharna pahun faar anand vatla. Ya poorvi hey darshan doormach dhayve ase vaate. Pan aata maatr ha jhalela baddal abhinand aahe.Shri Mukesh Sharma yaanche mee abhinandan karte , dhanyavaad dete."

(I am very happy to see the changes made at Doordarshan. Before this, one only wanted to watch it from afar (pun on the name Doordarshan). But now these changes are truly commendable. I not only congratulate Mr. Mukesh Sharma but thank him for it as well.)
THANK YOU LATA DIDI FOR THOSE KIND WORDS......................

13 comments:

  1. Mukesh

    So glad you are writing down these anecdotal bits...knowing the storehouse of memories that you are, we wouldn't be surprised if a book emerged from these very soon. You are still an old timer at heart, can see the way you write. One of the newer breeds of writers would have spent precious space on the headache tablet that Didi took, the brand of water she drank, the car she drove in, the size of rocks she wore on her ear lobes, the designer who weaved her white saree etc etc etc . Thank you for bringing out the person in her and giving us a glimpse of Didi as a human being.

    your blog rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find you younger day by day....so I believe you should re-christen your blog......It is a honor for us to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have not only a huge treasure of timeless art and memories but have preserved it in a way it truly deserves. In my about 26 years of growing together in media and sharing the same family background ( and Native place)I have seen your never ending thirst for demanding and taking more from life.These golden anecdotes are worth cherishing for generations to come. I am really proud of you. Mukesh a big salute from your brother.Must meet sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sir...

    It was indeed a pleasure to read your article.Very well written and the way you have played with words is awesome. Everybody writes, but penning down your thoughts so beautifully and straight from your heart is rare. All the best for all your future endeavours.

    Best Wishes
    Deepshikha, Iceplex

    ReplyDelete
  5. THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS WERE SENT BY DEEPAK GHAISAS VIA EMAIL....

    Dear Mr. Mukesh

    It was my privilege to share the dais with you at SPJIMR. I was away traveling but last weekend, I went thru your blog with great interest and I found it to be one of incredible blogs that I have seen. Our small interaction showed and now confirmed by your blog, your immense passion towards what you do…. Let it be DD or children’s’ films or your current AIR assignment. Its very rare to see such a quality with utmost humility. I enjoyed all the pieces that I could see including archives. Smt. Asha Bhosle’s remarks on her birthday on DD in 2002, say it a lot. Eight years down the line, I still find you young ( and envy you!!) with a childlike in heart. Please keep it up.

    I am sure, I will be reading this blog regularly. Please do share your invaluable treasure of memory lane. Each of those photos talks volumes!

    Lets be in touch

    Cheers...........Deepak

    ReplyDelete
  6. THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS WERE SENT BY BY PHIL COOKE (Cookepictures.com)(twcfilms.com)via eMAIL....

    Mukesh
    I'm very impressed with the way you're connected in the industry. Excellent story.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  7. THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS WERE POSTED BY ALOK BAJPAI ON FACE BOOK....


    Alok wrote:
    "u have such a vast experience of interacting with whos who !!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS WERE SENT BY DEEPAK GHAISAS VIA EMAIL....

    My dear Mukesh,

    U r d best everywhere ! I really feel proud of myself to be d little part of ur success journey!
    Be a GRAY MATTER for all d Brains !!

    Dr. Ulhas Wagh

    ReplyDelete
  9. the young one with the celebrities
    cool stuff.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent write-up that complements the photograph beautifully. Your affection, adulation and veneration for ‘larger than life’ Lataji, blends very well with her grace, serenity and graciousness. It must have been a tough call to bring out these sentiments seamlessly in a short write-up like this. You deserve full credit for showing the human dimensions of a Bharat Ratna, whose persona, is completely submerged under the heap of countless other awards and accolades.
    I am finding the Blog more appealing and mature at every visit.
    Best wishes
    Rakesh Sharma

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sir,Sahyadri Channel will achieve a great height under ur Guidance.....

    ReplyDelete