With Amitab Bachchan

With Amitab Bachchan
I've often noticed that we are not able to look at what we have beside us, unless it's inside a frame.

Monday, September 13, 2010

SHABANA AZMI..... AND THE ART OF LIVING...


SHABANA AZMI..... TURNS 60...

During my tenure with Children's film society, I had an opportunity to work very closely with Shabana Azmi .

Though I had not known her prior to her heading the CFSI, but she devloped an instant liking for me vis a vis my passion to deliver things on time.
She was appointed the Chairperson by the VP Singh govt after Jaya Bachchan resigned in 1987-88. Like Jaya Bachchan she was a chairperson in a hurry and also wanted to revamp CFSI and make it a world class organisation.

She did manage to turn around CFSI quite a bit during her brief tenure. For the first time the video rights of CFSI films were sold in pvt domain. People could buy children's film off the shelf and view it at home, as releasing a CFSI film in the cinemas is not possible even today.

Using her good office, she invited the ace film maker Punkaj Parashar (Karamchand & Chaalbaaz fame) to make the costliest children film (Rs 37 Lakhs) of that time for CFSI. The film was "Aasman se Gira ". Incidently Raghubir Yadav (of Peepli live) was the main lead in the film. He also recorded a song for the film, which I am of the opinion was much better then what he sang for Peepali Live. Lets see if I can lay my hands on the song and post it on the web.
We continue to be in touch , after both of us left CFSI. I had a chance to share airline seat next to her, from Johannesburg to Mumbai. In another function we were the guest of honor, where we shared the dais for a pro-gramme on Women Empowerment.
In 2006 when I organised the DD Prena Puruskar (where the daughter is thanking her mother for all that she has done for her in life) Shabana Azmi readily accepted my request and came for the event with her mother Shaukat Azmi.
Last I met her at Juhu Beach. She had come for morning walk and it started raining . I offered my umbrella but she was fine without it. May she continue to provide Shelter to the needy and have nots through her public service programmes, as she enters 61st year of her life.

Many happy Returns of the day Shabanaji.............

3 comments:

  1. Sir,
    Your blog is full of interesting info and inspiration to many
    Keep it up

    Regards
    DSLPrasad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never realised that Ms Azmi has turned 60. Saw her performing in an English play in Singapore, a few years back.
    Nice write up! The incidents and info provided gives the Blog a human touch and enhances its appeal. Keep it up.
    Best wishes.
    Rakesh Sharma

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Mukesh,

    U r d best everywhere ! I really feel proud of myself to be d little part of ur success journey!
    Be a GRAY MATTER for all d Brains !!

    Dr. Ulhas Wagh

    ReplyDelete