With Amitab Bachchan

With Amitab Bachchan
I've often noticed that we are not able to look at what we have beside us, unless it's inside a frame.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

DD Sahyadri has been successfully exploring the pubcaster's autonomy to unleash useful information'
Meet Mukesh Sharma, who completed six years at the helm of DD Sahyadri

Another tranquil evening is setting in the imposing Prasar Bharati complex, situated at Mumbai's upscale Worli area. As I enter the DD Kendra Mumbai (DD Sahyadri) office, an eerie silence accompanied by that unmistakable government office aura surrounds me. The staff has slowly started packing their bags, and walking through the vacant corridor, I wonder if that terrible traffic jam has cost me my appointment with the Kendra director Mukesh Sharma.

Meet the man though and any notions that he oversees a culture of ennui are dispelled. Sharma has just come off major brainstorming session with his key officers. As I am ushered into the spacious cabin, Sharma displays no signs of the fatigue. Over a cup of black tea, that Sharma himself prepared, he switches on the cheerful chat. He has been running the show at the Mumbai Kendra in this fashion since the last six years and the way DD Sahyadri evolved during this phase says it all.

In the course of the conversation, the former filmmaker's uninterrupted journey of six years as DD Sahyadri director is unveiled frame by frame.

A UP-ITE COMES TO MUMBAI TO LEAD DD'S MARATHI DRIVE

I have come all the way from Lucknow to Mumbai to head DD Sahyadri. There was a bit of apprehension in my mind when I took up the assignment. Reason, obviously the language and cultural barriers. To think like a Maharashtrian when it comes to conceptualising and ideating programming sounded a difficult proposition. However, I solved the situation successfully by following the strategy of ideating quality programmes and then banking on the local team to do the job perfectly.

I also realised that, I could use my film background to my advantage in this position. Being a filmmaker and producer myself, I think in the same wavelength that my producers think and that came as a huge bonus. My career background helped me to interact with my clients in a better way and overall it helped a lot to increase the Kendra's productivity.

THOSE EARLY DAYS

When I joined on 4 May 2000, DD Sahyadri was in a terrible state then. Poor connectivity, substandard programmes and low grade technical infrastructure had placed us lowest in the Marathi channel chart, behind ETV Marathi, Alpha Marathi (now Zee Marathi), Tara Marathi and Prabhat. I wanted to change this.



No comments:

Post a Comment