With Amitab Bachchan

With Amitab Bachchan
I've often noticed that we are not able to look at what we have beside us, unless it's inside a frame.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Remembering Satyen Bose on his 95th Birth Anniversary......

I was very fortunate to have worked with some of the Masters of Bollywood. Dr V Shantaram, Kidar Sharma (Rajkapoor's Guru) , and Satyen Bose ('Dosti' fame)..

With Dr V Shantaram , I worked in Children's Film Society (CFSI) for nearly 3 years(1980-83). I have some interesting anecdotes to share.. may be in the future posts.
With Kidar sharma I acted in his telly film "Aise Llog bhee hotey Hain".Sharmaji was quite caring .
  
Dr V Shantaram
    Satyen Bose or Dada (I called him affectionately) who laid a solid foundation for Rajshree Films, by directing their Super Hit , Platinum jubliee film DOSTI , released in 1964. 

I met dada in 1982 when he was directing the children's film Kaya Palat for CFSI. Though he was a bit temperamental, but developed an instant liking for me.

Satyen Bose was an intelligent director, who would appreciate people with I.Q. Some of his successful films were Aasara, Raat aur Din, Mere Lal , Aansoo Ban Gaye Phool, Chalti ka Naam Gaadi , Jaagrati and Jeevan Mrityu , Dosti.
Mukesh Sharma with Satyen Bose and Kidar Sharma
Dada lived & died a loner . Alas it was my fate to do his last rites , since that was his wish. I remember it was 9th June 1993 , the day of his funeral. It was attended by only two people from the film industry viz. Tarachand Barjatya and actor Anoop Kumar(brother of Kishor Kumar). Satyen Bose died unwept and unsung.
Dada deserved a better ending like his films. But reel life and real life are the two realities which never meet.
I found the above vintage photographs in my archives. Thought why not share it with you....More over 22nd January is Satyen Bose's 95th birth anniversary.....

3 comments:

  1. Comment received from Alok Bajpai via Hotmail:-

    U are indeed very lucky 2 ve worked with such opinion leaders !! Its sad that a renowned director like Satyen Bose died unsung.......speaks volume about so called professionals of the film industry who claim that people in the film industry are like....ONE BIG FAMILY !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting about Satyen Bose ji with pictures, we were trying to find information about him since some time. We like so many films directed by him like - Jagriti, Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi, Dosti, Jeevan Mrityu, among others. It is sad that greats like Satyen ji who have given so much to cinema lovers leave the world unsung.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thilled to watch this blog Satyena ji,
    I would love know more abt you.
    I am a writer in Gujarati(74)having 50 books to my credit,including few Akademi Award winner. Hindi opera (TVSerial) was based on my novel-KUNTI
    My E mail ID- rajnikumarp@gmail.com
    With humblest regards-Rajnikumar Pandya

    ReplyDelete